Nolin James O’Brien made his way home on Sunday around 6:00pm and we couldn’t be happier!  We realized when we got home exactly how lucky we were to have had that time with him in the hospital.  I can’t imagine what we would have been like if we just brought him home and had to figure out. 

 I’ve never been one to really read the owner’s manual, but Nolin didn’t exactly come with one at all and I thought they should really re-think that strategy.  The scene in the house was calm but probably also comedic for all of you that have older children.  Jenn & I tried to incorporate Nolin into our nightly routines like making dinner only to find its kind of hard when your hands are full.  Thankfully we had Axelle, our friends Lee & Kelly and Pancake (the dog) to help us out.

As soon as we got home, Pancake went right up to Nolin and started kissing his head.  I’ve been told that this is the dog’s way to let other dog’s know they are part of the pack…so I guess it’s official Nolin is part of the pack.

As our night wound down Jenn and I sat watching Nolin sleep…tonight was going to be a good good night.  Then we put him in his Bassinet and settled into bed…that’s when the fun started. 

Cry…pick up…attempt to perform the 5 S’s (Apparently from the Happiest Baby on The Block book which ours decidedly was not)…fall asleep…put back in the bassinet and then start the cycle over.  This routine went on straight from 11:00pm to 4:30am.  At some point I picked up my guitar and started singing to him and this seemed to calm him down.  I don’t know if that makes me the baby charmer or just that boring.  Either way the problem becomes that I am not at the age anymore where putting on a show at 2am has quite the same meaning that it used to.

During my impromptu setlist, I found that he particularly liked Leonard Cohen’s Hallelujah.  After playing the song several times I think the lyrics changed to I heard there was  a secret chord that POB played and Nolin snored…it worked for a few minutes at least.

With 2.5 hours of sleep, I made my way to work for a few hours, came home and took a nap with Nolin (because he decided that it is alright to sleep all day) and I’m looking forward to doing it all again…

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s